Before applying for a home, please read these initial requirements.
1. Have you lived OR worked in St. Charles County consistently for the past year?
2. Do you have a steady source of income?
If income is from employment, applicants must be employed with their current employer or in a similar industry for 6-9 months, or have another steady source of income. Non-employment income is counted if it is predicted to continue at least 3 years.
3. You must be able to pay an affordable mortgage and pass a credit review.
As part of the evaluation process, a credit check will be made on your past payment history. Obtain a FREE copy of your credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com. Unsatisfied judgements will disqualify you at the time of application.
4. Does your total gross household income from all sources and from ALL wage earners over the age of 18 living with you, fall at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) based on your family size.
Family Size 80% of AMI
|Family of 1||$46,450|
|Family of 2||$53,050|
|Family of 3||$59,700|
|Family of 4||$66,300|
|Family of 5||$71,650|
|Family of 6||$76,950|
|Family of 7||$82,250|
|Family of 8||$87,550|
5. Have you ever filed for bankruptcy?
Filing for Bankruptcy does not disqualify you from the Habitat program, but we require that the bankruptcy be fully discharged by the court for a minimum of 2 years at the time of application.
6. Are you presently living in substandard housing? Habitat’s goal is to eliminate substandard housing. Your home could be structurally unsound, overcrowded, have inadequate plumbing, heating, roofing, etc. or you may have no home of your own at all. As part of the application process, a visit to your current home will be made to assess need. If your housing is not substandard, but is unaffordable and cost burdening to you, you may also qualify.
7. Are you willing to work the required 300-450 hours in the process of building your home, including assisting with construction, required workshops, classes and other Habitat programs, over the next 9-12 months?
We have sweat equity activities available for people with ALL levels of abilities. Required sweat equity work hours will depend on the number of applicants.
If you believe that you meet these guidelines, send Habitat your contact information so they can let you know when applications are accepted and of upcoming homeownership training. Click here for an application.